Scaling Humanized Online Teaching
Hi there! This page has been put together to support our partner institutions with project-related communications. If you think of a resource that would be helpful, let Michelle know. We want this to be a great experience for you.
Available Cohort Dates: Humanizing Online STEM Academy
- Cohort 10: February 12 – March 24, 2024
- prepares STEM faculty to cultivate culturally inclusive online courses that foster belonging through the use of digital technologies
- is six weeks long
- requires about 10 hours of time per week
- is fully asynchronous (no required Zoom sessions)
- is delivered in Canvas
- is not self-paced. One module is released each week containing content and assignments with due dates. Participants engage in asynchronous discussions.
- Academy Webpage – Send this link to STEM faculty
- Send STEM faculty to this page to learn all about the Academy.
- On the “Apply” page, they will find eligibility criteria, information about the stipend (if you are a Grow partner, note that the site directs them back to you for details about your incentive), and a link to apply.
- Sample Email Announcement for STEM Faculty
- Infographic/Flyer – How and Why to Humanize Your Online Class – We encourage you to use your local printing resources to produce more of these helpful handouts.
- Slides – Make a copy of these Academy overview slides and present them in a Fall 2022 department meetings or workshops to recruit STEM faculty.
3-minute Participant Reflection Video – A great and inspirational video to include in a campuswide presentation to promote your college’s participation in our project.
If any of these contacts are incorrect or have changed, please inform Michelle. Thank you.
- Saddleback College*
- Cal Poly Humboldt*
- Kern Community College District*
- Alex Rockey – district communications
- Alex Rockey, Renee Visaya (sandboxes during the summer), Matt Andrasian-Jones – Bakersfield College faculty support
- Debbie Lou Angeles – Porterville College faculty support
- CSU Channel Islands
- Foothill College
- Modesto Junior College
- Mike Smedshammer – communications and faculty support
- Sierra College
- Ventura College
* Research partner
- Butte College
- Fresno State
- Compton College
- Cuyamaca College
- Grossmont College
- Mesa College
- Michelle Pacansky-Brock, Lead PI, Foothill DeAnza Community College District
- Di Xu, Co-PI (Research Lead), UC Irvine
- Mike Smedshammer, Faculty Development Consultant and Lead Facilitator, Modesto Junior College
- Kim Vincent-Layton, Faculty Development Consultant and Lead Facilitator, Cal Poly Humboldt
- Sarah Williams, Community of Practice Guide, Foothill College
- Jeffrey White, Community of Practice Guide, Cal Poly Humboldt
- Mike Smedshammer, Modesto Junior College
- Kim Vincent-Layton, Cal Poly Humboldt
- Alex Springer, Southwestern College
- Vivian Nguyen, Saddleback College
- Frank Gonzalez, Saddleback College
- Sumaya McCleave, Saddleback College
This grant project is administered by Foothill-DeAnza Community College District. If you have questions about this site, please contact the project’s Lead PI, Michelle Pacansky-Brock.